Keywords: CO2 corrosion, carbon steel, crude oil, water cut, produced water, autoclave.
1. Vuppu AK. Study of carbon dioxide corrosion of carbon steel in multiphase systems. M.Sc. Thesis, USA:Ohi University; 1994.
2. Cui ZD, Wu SL, Yang XJ. Corrosion behavior of oil tube steels under conditions of multiphase flow saturated with super- critical carbon dioxide. Journal of Materials Letters 2004:58;1035-1040.
3. Das GS, Khanna AS. Parametric study of CO2/H2S corrosion of carbon steel used for pipeline application. In proceedings to the International Symposium of Research Students on Materials Science and Engineering; 2004; Indian Institute of Technology Bombay.
4. Al- Hashem A, Carew JA, Al-Sayegh A. Effect of water–oil ratio on the CO2 corrosion of L-80 steel. ACE Corrosion 2012;13(C).
5. Efird, KD. Crude oil and steel corrosion. Efird Corrosion International Inc.; 1998.
6. Carew JA, Al- Hashem A. CO2 corrosion of L-80 steel in simulated oil well conditions. NACE Corrosion 2002; 02299.
7. Elsharkawy AM, Elgibaly AA, Alikhan AA. Assessment of PVT correlations for predicting the properties of kuwaiti crude oils. Journal of Petroleum Science & Engineering 1995;13:219-232.
8. Fang H. Low temperature and high salt concentration effects on general CO2 corrosion for carbon steel. M.Sc. Thesis, USA; Ohi University: 2006.
9. Ashley GW, Barsten GT. Initial stage of the anodic oxidation of iron in chloride solutions. Corrosion 1991; 47(12):908916.
10. Rustandi A, Adyutatama M, Fadly E, Subekti N. Corrosion rate of carbon steel for flow line and pipeline as transmission pipe in natural gas production with CO2 content. Makara Teknologi 2012;16(1): 57-62.
11. Nesic S, Postlethwaite J. An electrochemical model for prediction of CO2 corrosion. Corrosion 1996;52:280293.
12. Xia Z, Chou K-C, Szklarska-Smialowska Z. Pitting corrosion of carbon steel in CO2 – containing NaCl brine. Corrosion 1989;45(8):636-642.
13. Nour AH, Yunns RM. Stability investigation of water in crude oil emulsion. Applied Sciences 2006;6(14):2895-2900.
14. Cai J, Nesic S, Li C, Tang X, Ayello, F, Cruz, CIT. Experimental studies of water wetting in large diameter horizontal oil- water pipe flows. In: Proceedings of the SPE Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition; 2005.
15. Ayello F. Crude oil chemistry effects on corrosion inhibition and phase wetting in oil-water two-phase flow. Ph.D. Thesis. USA: Ohio University; 2010.
Tikrit Journal of Engineering Sciences (2017) 24(1) 1- 10
An investigation was carried out to determine the corrosion rate of carbon steel (A 106 Grade B) as flow line in crude oil production with CO2 content employing three Iraqi crude oil (Kirkuk crude oil, Halfaya crude oil, and Rumalia crude oil) with identical produced water (brine) [1%NaCl, 2%NaCl, and 3%NaCl]. Experiments were performed in an autoclave test apparatus, crude oil produced water mixtures, water cuts were (0,10,20,30, 40, and 100%), and temperature (20,40, 60°C). For all experiments, CO2 partial pressure was maintained at 4bar and the rotational speed of 500 rpm. The corrosion rates were determined by the weight loss method. The results revealed that the corrosion rate of carbon steel increased by increasing water cut and temperature, but decreased with increasing salt concentration for all types of crude oil. Rumaila crude oil exhibited the highest corrosion rate and Kirkuk crude oil exhibits the lowest corrosion rate while Halfaya crude oil exhibits a moderate corrosion rate.