- Armaly B.F., Durst F., Pereira J.C.F, and Schönung, Experimental and Theoretical Investigation of Backward-Facing Step Flow, Fluid Mechanics 1983; 127: 473-496.
- Durst F. and Pereira J.C.F, Time-dependent laminar backward-facing step flow in a two-dimensional duct, Fluid Engineering 1988; 110: 289-296.
- Gartling D.K., A test problem for outflow boundary condition-Flow over a backward facing step, J. Num. Methods Fluids 1990; 11: 953-967.
- Kim J., and Moin P., Application of a fractional-step method to incompressible Navier-Stokes Equations, Computational Physics 1985; 59: 308-323.
- Sohn J., Evaluation of FIDAP on some classical laminar and turbulent Benchmarks, In J. Num. Methods Fluids 1988; 8: 1469-1490.
- Peric, M., Kessler, R., Scheuerer, G., Comparison of finite volume numerical methods with staggered and collocated grid. Computers and fluid, 1988, 16, 389- 403.
Tikrit Journal of Engineering Sciences (2011) 18(4) 1- 9
Numerical Study of Separated Flows in Backward Facing Step by Using Collocated Grid Arrangement
Ahmed Waheed Mustafa, Mechanical Engineering Department, Tikrit University, Iraq
The effects of Reynolds number and the inlet height ratio on separated flow over backward facing step are investigated. The flow field is studied numerically with different inlet height ratio. The laminar flow field is analyzed numerically by solving the steady, two-dimensional incompressible Navier-Stokes equations. A collocated (non-staggered) grid is used in the momentum equations, which discretized by finite volume method, SIMPLE algorithm is used to adjust the velocity field to satisfy the conservation of mass. The range of Reynolds number is (Re = 100 – 800). The results show that at low height ratio (h/H = 0.25) and high Reynolds number the flow separated along the top wall of the channel. Good agreement with the experimental data is obtained.
Keywords: Backward Facing, Separation, Finite Volume, Collocated Grid.
How to cite
TJES: Mustafa AW. Numerical Study of Separated Flows in Backward Facing Step by Using Collocated Grid Arrangement. Tikrit Journal of Engineering Sciences 2011; 18(4): 1-9
APA: Mustafa A. W., (2011). Axial Dispersion and Back-mixing of Gas Phase in Pebble Bed Reactor. Tikrit Journal of Engineering Sciences, 18(4), 1-9.