- Shah, Y.T., Stiegel, G.J., Sharma, M.M., “Backmixing in Gas-Liquid Reactors”, AIChE J. 24 (1978) 369-400.
- Stiegel, G.J. and Shah, Y.T., “Backmixing and Liquid Holdup in a Gas Liquid Co-Current Up flow Packed Column”, Ind. Eng. Chem. Proc. Des. Dev. 16 (1977) 37.
- Abraham, M. and Sawant, S.B., “Hydrodynamic and Mass Transfer Characteristics of Packed Bubble Columns”, Chem. J. 43 (1990) 95-105.
- Niranjan, K. and Pangarkar, V.G., “Gas Holdup and Mixing Characteristics of Packed Bubble Columns”, Chem. J. 29 (1984) 101-111.
- Turpin, J.L. and Huntington, R.L., “Prediction of Pressure Drop for Two-Phase, Two Component Co-current flow in Packed Beds”, AIChE J. 13 (1967) 1196-1202.
Tikrit Journal of Engineering Sciences (2011) 18(3) 13- 22
Gas Holdup and Liquid-Phase Dispersion in Packed Bubble Columns
Burhan Sadeq Abdulrazzaq, Chemical Eng., Dept., Tikrit University, Iraq
The gas holdup and liquid phase axial dispersion coefficient are measured in two semi batch packed bubble columns, 10 and 15 cm diameter for an air–water system, at atmospheric conditions. The experiments were carried out using a transient method (the tracer response method). The dispersion coefficient was obtained by adjusting the experimental profiles of tracer concentration with the predictions of the model. Experiment results of packed bubble column, shows a considerable reduction of the back mixing. The investigations have been carried out using RTD measurements and the back mixing is usually characterized by the axial dispersion coefficient obtained from the one-dimensional axial dispersion model. Also, a decrease in superficial gas velocity reduces the liquid back mixing. It is observed that the liquid circulation comprises an upward flow in the column core and a downward flow along the wall. It also seen that the transition from the bubbly flow to the pulsation flow regime occurred at 5-6 cm/s superficial gas velocity.
Keywords: Packed Bubble columns, Gas holdup, Liquid dispersion, Liquid circulation.
How to cite
TJES: Abdulrazzaq BS. Gas Holdup and Liquid-Phase Dispersion in Packed Bubble Columns. Tikrit Journal of Engineering Sciences 2011; 18(3): 13-22
APA: Abdulrazzaq B. S., (2011). Gas Holdup and Liquid-Phase Dispersion in Packed Bubble Columns. Tikrit Journal of Engineering Sciences, 18(3), 13-22.