- A.K., “Fluid Mechanics”, Romesh Chander Khanna, Dahlia, India, 1980.
- British Standard Institution. “Methods of Measurement of Liquid Flow in Open Channel”, London, England, BS3680, (Part A), 1985.
- Liriano, S.L. and Day R.A., “Scour at Culvert Outlets as Influenced by the Turbulent Flow Structure”. Journal of Hydraulic Research, Vol.40, No.3, 2002.
- Mazurek, K.A. “Scour of Cohesive Soil by Submerged Plane Turbulent Wall Jets”. Journal of Hydraulic Research, Vol.41, No.2, 2003.
- الجبوري، موفق يونس واخرون ، “دراسة مختبرية للنحر مؤخر القناطر الأنبوبية”، المؤتمر الدوري لمركز بحوث السدود والموارد المائية، جامعة الموصل، (2008).
Tikrit Journal of Engineering Sciences (2011) 18(2) 44- 54 (Arabic)
Study of Scour Downstream Different Shapes of Culverts
Ebrahem A. Al Hafed, Research Center for Dams and Water Resources, University of Mosul, Iraq
In this research a laboratory study was carried out to investigate the scour phenomenon in sandy soil beds downstream different shapes of culverts, Four shapes of culverts such as circular, ellipse, rectangular and square were used. So, a best hydraulic section was used in rectangular and ellipse shapes. The study includes the measurement and comparison of maximum scour depth and length of scour hole downstream these different shapes of culverts. Also, the distribution of soil parts was studied. It was used five discharges for each one of culvert.
Laboratory results of this study showed that the minimum depth of scour in the same discharge occurred downstream ellipse culvert and then rectangular culvert and then square culvert and the last circular culvert.
Keywords: Rectangle culvert, Square culvert, Circular culvert , ellipse culvert, Scour .
How to cite
TJES: Al-Hafed EA, Study of Scour Downstream Different Shapes of Culverts. Tikrit Journal of Engineering Sciences 2011; 18(2): 44-54 (in Arabic)
APA: Al-Hafed, E.A., (2011). Study of Scour Downstream Different Shapes of Culverts. Tikrit Journal of Engineering Sciences, 18(2), 44-54, (in Arabic).