- Al-Gaassab.I., Al-Janabi, B.,Al Timimi,S.,Galib,A.,Ali,S.,Abdulmunim. 1987. The Iraqi map. Ministry of education and higher scientific research, Mosul University. Center of maps studies.
- Abdulkadir, S., 1973. South Sinjar plain. Evaluation of their valleys response to construct dams. Report no. 28. Ministry of agriculture. Baghdad, Iraq.
- Al-Aawaf, F. D. 1977. Hydrology of south Sinjar plain, northwest of Iraq. Ph.D Thesis, Univ. of London.
- Awad, J. H. 1984. Hydrology of Sinjar plain with mathematical model. M.Sc. Thesis. University Mosul, College of science, Geology department. 177 page.
- Almuhsin, S. Y. 1985. Ground water and Investment in Sinjar area. M. Sc. Thesis, Baghdad University. Collage of art. 302 page.
- Altalabani, N. J. 1986. Hydromorphology of Kahrizes and fans South Mountain. Scientific research council. Baghdad. 180 page.
Tikrit Journal of Engineering Sciences (2011) 18(2) 15- 28
Hydro Engineering Feasibility Study of Surface Runoff Water Harvesting in Al-Ajeej Basin, North West Iraq
|Thair M. Al-Taiee||Anass M. M. Rasheed|
|Research Center for Dams and Water Resources, Mosul University, Iraq|
The hydro engineering characteristics of Al-Ajeej basin which was located within south Sinjar plain north-west Iraq was analyzed to predict the possibility of surface runoff harvesting during rainfall season in the upstream sites in this basin using watershed modeling system (WMS). The hydrological feasibility of constructing a small dam on Al-Ajeej valley with some preliminary design calculations was presented. The best optimum dam site was selected to be located (3.95) km downstream the confluence of Al-Badee branch with Al-Ajeej valley (35° 46‘ 6“ Latitude and Longitude 41° 36‘ 11“) having a catchment’s area of (3043) km2. The proposed dam height was (12.5) meter with a dam length of (1277) m, while the normal storage volume of the reservoir is (38.8) million m3. Construction a dams in such sites characterized by water shortage during all around the year will give aid in the sustainable development of such area by increasing the cultivation lands, the agricultural products and modify the income of the villagers living in this area leading to prevent them leaving their lands to other places.
Keywords: Water harvesting; Small dams; Al-Ajeej Basin, WMS, GIS.
How to cite
TJES: Al-Taiee TM, Rasheed AMM. The Hydro Engineering Feasibility Study of Surface Runoff Water Harvesting in Al-Ajeej Basin, North West Iraq. Tikrit Journal of Engineering Sciences 2011; 18(2): 15-28
APA: Al-Taiee, T. M., Rasheed, A. M. M. (2011). The Hydro Engineering Feasibility Study of Surface Runoff Water Harvesting in Al-Ajeej Basin, North West Iraq. Tikrit Journal of Engineering Sciences, 18(2), 15-28.