- Walker, J. N., “Predicting Temperatures in Ventilated Greenhouse”, Transactions of the ASAE Vol. 8(3), pp. 445-448, 1965.
- Misra, R. N., Keener, H. M., and Roller, W. L., “Solar Heat for Corn Drying Under Ohio Conditions”, Part H: Summer Storage of Solar Heat”, Transactions of the ASAE Vol. 25 (2), pp. 459464, 1982.
- Radajewsld, W., Gaydon, D., and McGahan, E. I., “Optimization Of Solar Bay Drying In A Step-Flow Dryer”, of the ASAE vol. 33(5), pp. 1423-143 t, 1990.
- Sharma, V. K-, Sharma, S., and Garg, H. P., “Mathematical Modeling and Experimental Evaluation of a Natural Convection Type Solar Cabinet Dryer”, Energy Conversion and Management, Vol. 31 (1), pp. 65-73, 1991.
- Tiris, C., Tiris, M., and Dincer, L, “Investigation of the Thermal Efficiencies of A Solar Dryer”, Energy Conversion and Management Vol. 36(3), pp. 205-212, 1995.
Tikrit Journal of Engineering Sciences (2011) 18(1) 1- 14
The Application of Solar Energy in the Crops Drying Process
|Abbass Z. Salman||Mohammed A. Fayad|
|Energy and Fuel Research Center, University of Technology, Iraq|
In the present study, two convective types of solar dryers were investigated and tested under the Iraqi climate conditions. The first is called an indirect type which consists of a solar collector and drying chamber and the second type is a direct solar dryer. A drying equation based on a thin layer-drying function has been introduced to simulate the change of moisture content of crops with time taking into account the effect of flow rate of air, drying temperature, humidity ratio, initial and final moisture contents, and crops distribution on the drying rate and can be used for different crops. The dryers were tested using potato, fruit, any vegetables and other kinds of green leaves under the typical condition of Iraqi weather. Good agreement has been obtained between the present results and the available published measurements. The study indicates that the indirect solar dryer gives a definite performance advantage compared with the direct solar dryer.
Keywords: Solar energy, preserved foods
How to cite
TJES: Salman AZ, Fayad MA. The Application of Solar Energy in the Crops Drying Process. Tikrit Journal of Engineering Sciences 2011; 18(1): 1-14
APA: Salman, A. Z., Fayad, M. A. (2011). The Application of Solar Energy in the Crops Drying Process. Tikrit Journal of Engineering Sciences, 18(1), 1-14.